This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
This post was updated November 3, 2019.
What’s your favorite kind of date night? Fancy dinner out on the town? Expensive bottle of wine at home? Going to a concert?
Those are all wonderful ways to enjoy a Valentine’s Day date, an anniversary, a birthday, or any other random date night – when you can afford it.
Of course my husband and I occasionally have date nights like those. But we are trying to pay off debt and save money, so for us, we have learned to be a little more creative with our date nights – to find ways to enjoy each other’s company without going crazy spending money.
Not to mention we also have a baby now, which means being even more creative and finding cheap date nights at home.
Are you in the same boat? Do you need to be a little more creative when it comes to having a date?
The following is a list of inexpensive dates nights (or days) perfect for any couple!
Maybe you can surprise your significant other by planning one of these soon!
- Shop together and then cook dinner together at home. My husband and I have had some of our most fun times by cooking together!
- Snuggle up on the couch while watching a movie.
- Create a scavenger hunt for each other. I did this for my husband’s 30th birthday. I had so much fun putting clues around the house for him to find. Here’s a link to a romantic scavenger hunt with free printables.
- If the climate is warm enough for you, have a picnic in the park.
- Go for a long walk by a river or lake or wooded trail. Casually stroll along holding hands.
- Play a board game. You can even make it a little more “interesting” if you want 🙂
- Play a card game.
- Do a craft together. Either something for the house or a craft for each other.
- Put on a fire and sit and talk while drinking a $5 bottle of wine (this is how we discussed many of our wedding plans).
- Lay under the stars wrapped up in a blanket.
- Binge watch a TV show you’ve been wanting to see.
- Hop in the car and go for a drive to nowhere specific.
- Try to teach each other something the other doesn’t know.
- Go fishing (fishing is not my favorite thing to do, but I don’t mind enjoying the outdoors while my husband fishes).
- Go to a matinee movie. Too many of us don’t take advantage of matinee prices! Make sure not to buy any food or drinks when you’re there so as not to spend too much money. Just pay close attention if it’s Valentine’s Day or another holiday that the prices aren’t higher than normal.
- Play truth or dare.
- If you’re lucky enough to have this near you like we used to, buy a $5 ticket to an outdoor theater and have a picnic and glass of inexpensive wine while listening to the music or show. (Again, this is more of a summer activity unless you live in a warm climate that has outdoor events at a place like this year round.)
- Go swimming at a nearby lake or pool.
- Play a sport together.
- Invite another couple over and play a board game.
- Put together a puzzle.
- Play a video game together.
- Paint something together.
- Pull up a YouTube video and learn how to do some sort of craft or inexpensive DIY project.
- Workout together.
- Take turns reading a book aloud.
- Study scripture together.
- Create your own game.
- Go for a hike (this is a little more intense than the aforementioned casual stroll).
- Make s’mores indoors and watch a scary movie.
- Volunteer together.
- Go somewhere to share a slice of pie.
- Find a free zoo.
- Take out a canoe on a river or lake.
There are many ways to have an inexpensive and fun date night! Some are pretty obvious and others not as much. Sometimes it just takes a little creativity and finding what works for you!
Please comment with any other date ideas you have. And if you enjoyed this post, please share 🙂
What To Stop Buying To Pay Off Debt And Save Money Faster
How To Get Your Spouse On Board With Your Financial Plan
5 Tips To Help You Stick To Your Monthly Budget
How To Create Your Own Budget In 5 Easy Steps
Leave a Reply